West End House continues to celebrate the achievements of our youth throughout the year through virtual receptions and presentations. At this year’s annual Margolin Family Scholarship Reception, held on Tuesday, January 19th, we presented scholarships to 15 young people who have persevered during these difficult times, excelling in their academic careers and continuing to demonstrate leadership in the West End House community and beyond.
The online reception featured words and reflections led by West End House’s Director of College and Career Pathways Portsha Franklin, Board Members Gerry Walsh and Bill Margolin and his wife Bryna Leeder. Also sharing remarks were CEO Andrea Howard, Board President Mindy Berman, and Representative Kevin Honan.
Portsha, along with College Success Coaches Chris Fincher and Tammie Watson, then shared a few words about each of our dedicated scholarship recipients, citing their educational and personal achievements throughout this past academic year.
Congratulations to the 2021 Margolin Family Scholarship Awardees!
- Adler Arcene, Junior at UMass-Lowell, Mechanical Engineering
- Aleena Mangham, Freshman at Howard University, Criminology and Sociology
- Brandon Assamoi, Junior at University of Massachusetts Boston, Political Science
- Brianna Irwin, Sophomore at Fitchburg State, Criminal Justice
- Carla Delgado, Senior at University of Massachusetts Boston, Social Psychology
- Carolina Schott, Sophomore at Berklee College of Music, Songwriting
- Emmanuelle Dejeanlouis, Junior at University of Massachusetts Amherst, Political Science
- Jahaira Rosado, Junior at University of Massachusetts Boston, Mathematics
- Jennifer Carbonel, Senior at George Washington, Public Health
- Jonathan Sanchez, Junior at University of Massachusetts Lowell, Entrepreneurship
- Kelly Cryts, Junior at Salem State, Elementary Education
- Kyra Matthews-Davis, Junior at University of Massachusetts Boston, Exercise and Health Sciences
- Michelle Zhang, Senior at Lesley University, Children Youth and Family Studies
- Niare Galvez, Senior at Lincoln University, Political Science
- Stephanie Ortega, Sophomore at Boston University, Business Management
The Margolin Family Scholarship is an annual scholarship program in honor of Bill Margolin and Bryna Leeder. With a long history of supporting youth, Bill and Bryna’s legacy will persist in shaping the lives of the young people who receive the scholarship. Awardees are honored for their academic excellence, leadership, and connection with West End House as Club alumni or Boys or Girls Camp participants.