The West End House community continues to rally around our youth in support of their academic and career goals and celebrate their achievements throughout the year. At this year’s annual Margolin Family Scholarship Reception, held on Thursday, January 20th, we presented scholarships to 12 young people who have persevered during these difficult times, excelling in their academic careers and continuing to demonstrate leadership in the West End House community and beyond.
It was an inspiring evening as we heard from people in the West End House community who care deeply about the future of all West End House youth. The online reception featured words and reflections led by West End House’s Director of College and Career Pathways Portsha Franklin, Board Members Gerry Walsh and Bill Margolin and 2017 Margolin Scholarship Recipient Roger Xie, and CEO Andrea Howard.
Words of wisdom were also shared by special guests Massachusetts State Representative Kevin Honan, Massachusetts State Senator Will Brownsberger, West End House Board President Mindy Berman, Board member and former Board President Andrew Musto, Board member and former Board President Henry Barr, Board of Advisors member John Parker, and The Boston Foundation Program Officer Jade Franco.
College Success Coaches Chris Fincher and Tammie Watson then shared a few words about each of our dedicated scholarship recipients, citing their educational and personal achievements throughout this past academic year.
Congratulations to the 2022 Margolin Family Scholarship Awardees!
- Aleena Mangham – Sophomore at Howard University
- Angie Hernandez – Freshman at UMass Boston
- Ayanna Beach – Sophomore at Fitchburg State University
- Handel Altenor – Freshman at Mass Bay Community College
- Jelani Galvez – Freshman at Morehouse University
- Keisha Pierre – Junior at Lesley University
- Lucas Soares – Freshman at Mass Bay Community College
- Mabel Castillo – Freshman at Simmons College
- ReignYah Grant – Freshman at North Carolina Central University
- Tevin Clarke – Freshman at Bunker Hill Community College
- Victoria Coll – Freshman at Bunker Hill Community College
- Wilventz Georges – Freshman at Framingham State University
The Margolin Family Scholarship is an annual scholarship program in honor of Bill Margolin and Bryna Leeder. With a long history of supporting youth, Bill and Bryna’s legacy will persist in shaping the lives of the young people who receive the scholarship. Awardees are honored for their academic excellence, leadership, and connection with West End House as Club alumni or Boys or Girls Camp participants.
We look forward to seeing everyone next year, hopefully in person! Until then, please view the Zoom recording below and feel free to share all the amazing stories and spread the positive spirit of our young people.
In the words of College and Career Pathways Director Portsha Franklin (and echoed by all West End House staff), “Whether you are an alumni, donor, volunteer, Board member, or friend…you are family!”
2022 Margolin Family Scholarship Reception