We are seeking adult volunteers* who are willing to make a weekly commitment to engage with young people in our programs. These opportunities focus on the areas of academic support, fitness and nutrition, visual and performing arts, and leadership and life skills and include:
- Academic Tutor: Support a high school student in a specific subject area while forming a relationship and providing general academic guidance
- Reading Buddy: Read aloud and complete a provided lesson plan in this one-on-one program that aims to help club members in need of extra reading support
- Math Buddy: Practice math skills in this one-on-one program that aims to help club members in need of extra math support
- STEM Program Mentor: Support and work with kids in a number of different STEM offerings including Robotics and Coding
- Visual Arts Volunteer: Assist in the running of a number of different visual arts offerings, including ceramics, painting, art & science, and printmaking
- Music Clubhouse Volunteer: Provide instrumental and vocal instruction in small group and one-on-one settings
- Fitness and Nutrition Volunteer: Engage youth during lessons and assist staff in the running of programs
*Please note that due to high demand, our Volunteer Program typically recruits adult volunteers (age 22+). We have developed strong partnerships with local colleges including Boston College, Boston University, and Harvard University and have very limited opportunities for undergraduate students as a result. For high school students, we periodically have group volunteer opportunities available; however, due to high demand we cannot always accommodate high school group requests.
How Do I Get Started?
Take the following steps:
- Attend a volunteer orientation at the beginning of the month. Email Community Engagement Coordinator Sarah MacPherson at email@example.com for this month’s dates.
- Complete and submit a volunteer application, which includes consenting to a federal criminal and sexual offender background check.
- Attend a volunteer training session at the end of the month.
Any internship opportunities will be listed on our Career Opportunities page.